Are Peace Lily Toxic to Cats

The peace lily is a common houseplant known for its white blooms and air-purifying abilities. However, peace lilies contain calcium oxalates that are highly toxic and poisonous to cats if ingested, causing symptoms like irritation and swelling of the lips and tongue.

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals warns that even small ingestions can lead to acute kidney failure in cats. If you suspect your cat has eaten part of a peace lily, contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Control immediately, as kidney failure progresses rapidly and can be fatal without swift veterinary treatment.

To keep your feline friends safe, avoid keeping peace lilies in the house if you have a cat, or place them in an area not accessible to pets.

What Are Peace Lilies?

peace lily plant flowering

Peace lilies, or spathiphyllum, are a popular flowering houseplant known for their lush green leaves and beautiful white flowers. As members of the Araceae plant family, peace lilies contain insoluble calcium oxalate in their leaves, stems, and buds. Calcium oxalate makes up about 3-10% of the dry weight of the peace lily plant.

While providing pleasing ornamental flowers, peace lilies can also help clean indoor air. However, they can be extremely poisonous and toxic to cats if ingested, so special care must be taken in homes with feline friends.

The Dangers of Peace Lilies to Cats

cat near a peace lily plant

If any part of a peace lily plant is chewed or ingested by a cat, the calcium oxalate crystals can cause significant oral irritation, excessive drooling, swelling of the mouth and throat, cat’s throwing up, difficulty swallowing, and pain. Oral exposure to the plant’s toxic parts can make your cat rapidly show these toxin symptoms.

In some cases, ingestion may also lead to more serious health issues like acute kidney failure or fatal liver damage if kidney failure occurs. Plant poisoning should be treated as a medical emergency by a vet, as delayed treatment can be fatal for your cat who has consumed peace lily.

Keeping Cats Safe from Peace Lilies

cute cat

To prevent accidental toxin ingestion, keeping peace lilies out of a home with cats is advised. If you desire to have these ornamental plants, place them far out of reach of felines. Do an online search or talk to your vet to confirm if a plant is toxic before bringing it near pets.

Monitor cats closely when introducing any new plants and look for signs of irritation, drooling, or lethargy if the toxin is suspected. Swift action can be lifesaving.

Educating yourself on poisonous plants can help create a safe environment so both you and your cats can enjoy the beauty of flowers peacefully.

Preventing Peace Lily Toxicity in Cats

cat near a plant

To keep your cat’s paws safe, avoid keeping peace lily plants or other toxic flowers in your home if you have curious feline family members. Place any plants out of reach of cats. searching online or talking to your vet can advise if a plant is toxic before bringing it home.

If you suspect your cat has ingested any part of a peace lily, look for symptoms like oral disturbance, excessive drooling, and lethargy. Contact your vet immediately so quick remedy greatly improves the chance of recovery.

With prompt veterinary care, most cats recover fully from peace lily toxicity. However, prevention is key to keeping your cat from ingesting any part of this common but poisonous houseplant. Avoiding lilies and educating yourself on plant poison can help soothe safety concerns and enjoy the flower’s beauty peacefully.

You may also check our article Plants Safe for Cats if you want to look for alternative houseplants and don’t want to compromise on peace lily. Or you can keep your cats away from your peace lily by reading this guide How To Keep Cats Out Of Houseplants.

Frequently Asked Questions

If a cat ingests any part of a peace lily, the calcium oxalate crystals can cause burning and aggravation in the mouth, excessive salivating, pawing at the mouth, and vomiting. Other signs include decreased appetite, lethargy, and mouth swelling. The plant can cause severe kidney damage if not treated promptly.

All parts of the peace lily plant, including the leaves, stems, blossoms, and pollen contain calcium oxalate crystals that are toxic to cats. Even small ingestions of any part of the plant can cause venom symptoms.

Usually shows up rapidly within 2-4 hours after ingestion. Your cat may show sudden unexplained vomiting, lip smacking, pain, and lethargy. Immediate veterinary cure is crucial.

With timely veterinary remedies, the chances for a full recovery are good. However, without swift care, the toxins can quickly cause diarrhea and irreversible organ damage. Seeking cure ASAP is key to survival.

Not always – lack of vomiting does not mean the cat did not ingest the plant. Look for other symptoms like lethargy, decreased appetite, and lip-smacking. When in doubt, call your vet.

Cats are attracted to the grass-like texture of the lily leaf and the sweet pollen taste. However, all parts of lilies are toxic to cats and should be kept out of reach.

Costs vary but expect $300-$2000 depending on the treatment needed for kidney and liver support. With prompt care, damage may be reduced requiring less medicine. Preventing ingestion is ideal.

There are no safe home remedies if your poor cat is affected. The insoluble calcium oxalate crystals found in all parts of the peace lily plant can quickly cause mouth disturbance, excessive drooling, vomiting, and even acute kidney failure when ingested by cats. Timely veterinary care is essential.

While pet owners may search for home methods to soothe symptoms, attempting to treat lily poisoning yourself can seriously endanger the health of your cat. Inducing vomiting, giving milk, or any other substance can potentially make the situation worse.

The toxins require professional medical treatment and monitoring. Contrary to popular belief, giving the cat milk will not help its situation. Most cats are lactose intolerant so milk may worsen diarrhea and dehydration.

Bring your cat to the vet immediately if you notice symptoms of plant toxicity like vomiting, lethargy, lip smacking, or mouth swelling and irritation after potential peace lily ingestion. Waiting to observe symptoms at home risks the chance of irreversible organ damage, while swift veterinary care greatly improves the chances of a full recovery.

Though well-meaning, home remedies and waiting to see if symptoms improve on their own can have tragic consequences. Do not attempt to treat peace lily poisoning yourself – only your animal doctor can properly diagnose and manage lily toxicity to avoid catastrophic health outcomes for your beloved cat. Immediate veterinary treatment is critical.

Whether you want to buy, sell, or simply reach out to other plant enthusiasts, Plantly is the right place to be!

Plantly Menu