No products in the cart.
Are you thinking about investing in the Anthurium plant? Yes, they are intriguing species, but a fair warning is not to have them around if you have feline friends at home. These tropical, outdoor plants are not your cat’s best friend and can make them very sick.
While it is rare that Fluffy will face any fatal outcomes if consumed, it is best not to take too many chances. But why is it a toxic plant as the flamingo flower is so gorgeous? We will answer all your questions here, so stay a bit longer.
What are Anthurium Plants?
When local nurseries sell the Anthurium, it is sold as the Flamingo Lily, Tail Flower, Pigtail Plant, Painter’s Pallet, or Oilcloth Flower. The plant has a leathery feel on the leaves with a dynamic spathe and spadix with flowers growing in the center.
The Anthurium is also one of the largest genera belonging to the Araceae family. Furthermore, it is also one of the most toxic plants that can affect any living thing, from humans to pets. Hence, it is listed as the most poisonous, indoor plant in your home.
Still, why is Anthurium toxic to cats, and how do you know your feline has gotten a bite of this plant? Stay tuned, as Plantly will guide you on how these gorgeous plants are toxic to our fur babies.
Insoluble Calcium Oxalate Crystals in The Flamingo Flower
All parts of the flamingo plant are toxic if ingested as it contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals. From the root, leaves, flowers, and seeds to the stem are poisonous. Furthermore, still unverified. It also includes a toxin protein, and further studies still need to be concluded.
The calcium oxalate crystals can cause a reaction when chewing or ingested, from mouth irritation to pain. Another thing that is also a concern is that it can cause dermatitis when touching the plant.
For this reason, it is always recommended when re-potting or propagating the lily to wear gloves. No matter if only small amounts are eaten, it can create irritation. The fact is it is even toxic to dogs.
So, if you are pet parents and still want to have the Anthurium around as houseplants, we recommend removing it from a table and giving them a spot on other high places.
Signs That Your Cat Has Eaten The Toxic Plant
Even small amounts of the plant can make your cat ill. For most parts, pets will experience moderate symptoms. So, if you see your feline exhibiting one or more of the following symptoms, take them immediately to a vet.
Your cats or dogs can show oral aggravation by clawing at the face and mouth. The mouthparts will swell, and they will have severe pain and discomfort. You may see your pet drooling excessively or even start to vomit.
Furthermore, your cat will have difficulty swallowing and will keep shaking its head. There might be eye pain if the pollen gets into the eyes. Or, if the crystals contact the skin, it will blister.
Alternatively, the animal’s lips will swell or have difficulty breathing with the lack of oxygen.
What To Do If Plant Poisoning Happens
While not all experiences chewing on the flamingo flower will need a trip to the vet, it is best to monitor your pet’s condition. You may find that your cat only ate a small piece, and the discomfort settles fast. But keep watching them for a few days.
You can also contact your veterinarian to find out if there are any concerns. Finally, you can give your dog or cat a little bit of yogurt or mild to bind the crystals consumed. Still, only do this if your pet can swallow and breathes normally.
If you notice any behavior with the symptoms above, get to the vet immediately. For example, if your feline ate a lot of the plant, get to the vet instead. Your vet will prescribe medication and provide you with something for your pet’s stomach.
The reason is that the foliage can cause discomfort in the gastrointestinal tract, and the medication will allow the insoluble calcium oxalate to pass through the system.
If you are concerned about your pets and decide you would instead get rid of your Anthurium plant, there are other alternatives. The list provided here is not poisonous plants and is safe for pet parents to have in the home. In addition, these compatible plants will provide joy in the house to decorate your living space.
The African Violet
The Prayer Plant
While the flamingo lily is a striking plant, the fact remains that these tropical plants remain toxic if a cat eats any part of them. The best is to ensure that the plant remains without reach, or it is best to avoid having them as houseplants.
Whether you want to buy, sell or simply reach out to other plant enthusiasts, Plantly is the right place to be!